Visits for delegates from China
Founded as Queen’s College in 1845, Queen’s University Belfast became a university in its own right in 1908 and is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of universities. Today, it is an international centre of research and education rooted at the heart of Northern Ireland, with more than 3,700 members of staff, almost 19,000 undergraduates and nearly 5,000 postgraduates, Queen’s is a dynamic and diverse institution at the heart of the city’s cultural, arts and social scenes. It is one of the largest employers in Belfast and each year contributes more than £700 million to the Northern Ireland economy. To date it has developed 66 spin-out companies with a combined turnover of £171 million. The university is a magnet for inward investment, a patron of the arts and a global player in fields ranging from cancer studies to sustainability, and from pharmaceuticals to creative writing. Of its student body, 11% are from outside the UK, as are 42% of its academic staff.
In the most recent assessment of research quality in UK universities, 25% of the university’s research was rated world-leading and a further 52% rated internationally excellent. The university has won the Queen’s Anniversary Prize on six occasions; for Northern Ireland’s Comprehensive Cancer Services programme and for world-class achievement in green chemistry, environmental research, palaeoecology, cyber-security and law.
Parliament Buildings is home to the Northern Ireland Assembly, the legislative body for Northern Ireland established under the Belfast Agreement 1998 (Good Friday Agreement). Built in 1921 at a cost of nearly £1.7 million, it was designed to house the newly formed Government of Northern Ireland and was officially opened on 16th November 1932 by the then Prince of Wales, on behalf of King George V.
Ulster University at Magee College
Ulster University, Magee campus is located in Derry, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It opened in 1865 as a Presbyterian Christian arts and theological college. Since 1953, it has had no religious affiliation and provides a broad range of undergraduate and postgraduate academic degree programmes in disciplines ranging from business, law, social work, creative arts & technologies, cinematic arts, design, computer science and computer games to psychology and nursing.
The Magee Campus gained its name from Martha Magee, the widow of a Presbyterian minister, who, in 1845, bequeathed £20,000 to the Presbyterian Church of Ireland to found a college for theology and the arts. It opened in 1865 primarily as a theological college, but accepted students from all denominations to study a variety of subjects. It was a college of the Royal University of Ireland from 1880 and later became associated with the Trinity College, Dublin when the Royal University was dissolved in 1909 and replaced by the National University of Ireland.